...it's going to take a lot of work.

Life changed.

I'm single.

I'm trying to find my identity.

I have a ton of things I want to do. A ton of things I want to learn how to do.

There are new players in my life, and no I'm not going to give them nicknames (unless they want them).

I've always envied the people who go and travel everywhere or live this completely bohemian lifestyle. As you get older you realize you have to have a lot of money to do so. I'm going to try and make my life in this town as bohemian and "cool" as possible.

...it's going to take a lot of work.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

An Apple a Day... part 1

I apologize for the lack of personal updates going on in my life. When you are unemployed there isn't much to do. Granted I can gloat about Alex having a shotgun wedding (which did make me very happy), but I blasted that all over Facebook. I could go over the rundown of what happened between us, but I'm just not ready to go through it again. So, with the unemployment I have to find things that occupy my time. The biggest thing that I enjoy is cooking. My roommate, Jon, thinks I'm awesome at this and I kind of am lol but it does bring me joy.

Do I do any other kinds of crafts? Sure! I sew and I crochet (which I haven't done in a long time), but I don't want to just sit around and give myself carpel tunnel and I don't have the money to sew. I do have a dress that I have all of the fabric for already. It's a Renascence costume. When my room gets organized and clean I'll pull that out and work on it.

I do have a dress that I need to make for the end of September and if I can find some extra money or good fabric at the thrift store (bed sheets totally rock) then I'll post that up. But generally, it'll be food.

Like today!

So I got my Co-Op produce. More tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, and lettuce. But this time I also got strawberries (they are very tiny - like baby strawberries) and chilis! I don't know what I'm going to do with those, but I'm pretty excited because I guess they are pretty hot.

Last week, I got a whole bunch of apples. ...and I keep forgetting to eat them. I have some standard recipes that I like to make with apples, like applesauce. It's so much easier, healthier, and cheaper to make applesauce than buy it. If they give me more then I may make it. But since I have so many apples, I decided to an apple series. I don't know how long it will go. Three maybe four depending on how many apples I have.

I had gotten the idea of an apple turnover from a woman in the grocery store and I thought that I would try it. This recipe is all over the internet, so if you just search crescent apple turnover you will find a version. This is MY version. Now some people may say "there is an easier way to do this" (Shut up Justin this is MY blog), but to me, this is the BEST way. ...or this is the first time I am doing this and I'm just going with it. XD

I am doing a twist on my apple pie recipe with this and I did find this glaze from another website that I thought if I put them together would go well.

Recipe:
2 Cans Crescent Rolls (May take 3 depending on how much filling you make)

Filling:
2C apples chopped
1/3C sugar (the sauce is really sweet)
2 Tbsp Flour
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar

Sauce:
1/2 C Butter, softened (1 stick)
1 C Sugar
1 Can of Mountain Dew (I used the real sugar kind because HFCS? EWWWWW)

Core and chop the apples and add all ingredients together in a bowl. I know when you go looking at apple recipes it tells you to peel them. But really? That's where all the fiber and good stuff is. Go ahead and leave it on. What is it going to do? If you use a red/pink apple just turn the filling a little pink. That adds character!

Roll out the crescent rolls. Now, you can cut these in half to make small ones if you want or you can leave them big. It's up to you. For my recipe I cut them in half and then stretch them out slightly.

Fill the crescent rolls. You have to be careful because you can overfill these and that's not good. Make sure there is at least a half an inch on either side. If you're not sure, start with a small amount of filling and just fold over without pressing to gauge how much is enough.

How I fold them is quite simple. Once you fill them, you fold one corner to the middle of the opposite side. Repeat and then fold the top down like an envelope. You may have a hole on the bottom, you can pinch that closed.


Place in a greased 9x13 in pan (I used a turkey pan because I made a lot of little ones)


For the sauce you heat the stick of butter in a pan and add the sugar. Don't make it smooth.

Spoon into the pan with the turnovers, pour in the Mountain Dew, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake in the oven at 350* for 30-40 minutes.

Enjoy! I know I did. :D












No comments:

Post a Comment