...it's going to take a lot of work.

Life changed.

I'm single.

I'm trying to find my identity.

I have a ton of things I want to do. A ton of things I want to learn how to do.

There are new players in my life, and no I'm not going to give them nicknames (unless they want them).

I've always envied the people who go and travel everywhere or live this completely bohemian lifestyle. As you get older you realize you have to have a lot of money to do so. I'm going to try and make my life in this town as bohemian and "cool" as possible.

...it's going to take a lot of work.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day 3 of Unemployment: Saturday off

Wow. I have a Saturday off. A Saturday to do whatever I wanted! It's a little crazy. I haven't had a Saturday off for over three years. Three years! Not without calling, requesting, or switching off for it. Basically jumping through hoops.

It was weird. It felt weird. It felt like Sunday!

Now, I thought about going to church, and I almost did. But I just enjoyed the day too well. I made bread (which you'll see in my post tomorrow), and I went to the mall with Jon.

The mall was fun. I forgot how much walking was involved though. I just spent three years sitting on my ass, I'm not used to this walking bullshit. We stopped at Teavana. Got some mint tea. I'm excited for it, their tea is good. I also picked up an application. I'm trying to decide if I want to turn the application in there, or apply online. Online would be so much easier. But maybe meeting face to face would good.

Here's the problem. If I get a part-time job, I wouldn't be able to get unemployment. And though unemployment isn't that great (50% of what I made I hear) it's still getting paid while I look for what I want. Essentially two and a half weeks would get me my rent and bills. Also, I would make more off of unemployment than I would working part-time. How crazy is that?!

So after the mall, Jon and I went to Barnes & Noble. I like B&N, it's a nice bookstore. Everything was going fine until they couldn't find my B&N card information. I bought the discount card last year and then this past July was forced to renew it. It was an automatic renewal I had no choice and I didn't have the ability to refund it. So no one can find my information. Not the cafe, not customer service, not even the manager. So the manager calls the online number and the girl...She was a girl. So unhelpful. Like her voice alone made me want to strangle her. She sounded like she was 14! Is that a new thing in customer service? To make women sound like children so they aren't as intimidating? Because I would rather talk to someone who knew what they were doing.

So, the store is awesome, the people on the phone, not so much. Here's the cool thing about the story. As the manager is helping me, there are phones ringing off the hook. I make some comment like "Sounds like you could use some help. Are you hiring?" and she goes "Actually we are." When my conversation is done I ask for the application and go to the cafe, buy a key lime tart and the book I just wanted to skim through, and fill out the application. When she handed it to me, she said just bring it back and ask for her and she'd come up. So I did, she did, and we had a little chat and on Monday they are going to discuss who they are going to interview. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's a good sign.

Then we came home. And...my bread. Oh lordy. But it was okay. Just needed a little tweak and everything was fine! You'll get to see the recipe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment